LeT leader, 2 civilians among 14 killed in Kashmir unrest

Posted June 19, 2017

Though there was no shutdown called by the separatists, yet south Kashmir remained shut against the civilian and militant killings in an encounter in Arwani area in Anantnag district on Friday. A 22-year-old civilian was also killed when forces opened fire on protesters while the encounter was underway.

A police official said security forces during search of debris of a house that was damaged in yesterday's gunfight between militants and security forces in Arwani village recovered bodies of three LeT militants.

Reports said before the burial of the commander four funeral prayers were offered by mourners, who came to the village from all areas around the village and even from other parts of south Kashmir.

The bodies of the three militants were handed over to their respective families on Saturday morning and a big funeral was held for Mattoo in which people from different parts of south Kashmir participated.

Matoo succeeded Majid Zargar after the later along with his associate was killed in an encounter in the same village (Arwani) in November previous year.

Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba has claimed the responsibility for the attack. The incident took place this evening when Feroz Ahmed, a 2010 batch Sub-Inspector, was on his way to the police station at Achabal after completing his duty in Anantnag.

Meanwhile, dozens of people were injured after Indian Army and police personnel vandalized Turkewangam village in Shopian district last night, beating people ruthlessly and ransacked residential houses.

The attack comes on a day when the security forces eliminated Lashkar commander Junaid Mattoo along with one more terrorist in Kashmir's Kulgam district. There are speculations that the attack might have been carried out in retaliation to the killing of Mattoo.J&K Director General of Police SP Vaid said militants fired at the policemen from a close range."The close range firing disfigured the faces of martyed policemen", Vaid told the Tribune.

Police said the civilians were killed in the crossfire between militants and the government forces.

In 2016, Mattoo killed two police officials in Anantnag with a video of him fleeing the spot with an AK 47 going viral. The LeT had earlier uploaded a video on the social networking site warning local policemen to stay away from anti-militancy operations.

Soon after the encounter started train services between Baramullah and Banihal were suspended and all the exams scheduled on June 17, in wake of the strike, have been postponed.