Trump's official London trip pushed back until 2018

Posted July 12, 2017

US President Donald Trump's state visit to Britain is being planned for next year, a senior British government source said Tuesday.

But it is possible the President - who owns two golf courses in Scotland - may make an unofficial visit before then, according to Government insiders.

While at the G20 summit in Germany on Saturday, Trump confirmed that he would be coming to London after saying that he and Prime Minister Theresa May had developed a "special relationship".

But the White House spokesman Sean Spicer later dismissed those reports, saying: 'While he looks forward to visiting the United Kingdom, it will not be in the next two weeks'.

It was said he did not want to visit while there was potential for protests against him.

Prime Minister Theresa May invited the USA president to Britain in January during their first meeting in Washington, when the two leaders hailed the beginning of a new "special relationship" between the countries.

Confirmation of Mr Trump's visit had been expected in last month's Queen's Speech, in which the Queen set out her official plans for the year.

President Trump won't be calling on London for the time being. Asked when, he replied: 'We'll work that out'.

Reports have suggested that Donald Trump's visit will take place in 2018. "An invitation has been extended and accepted and details around the planning will be announced in due course", the spokesman tells PEOPLE.

Aides to Theresa May are now trying to work out a possible date for the trip in 2018.