Footage reveals horrific conditions on Manus

Posted November 10, 2017

That facility was closed more than a week ago after the PNG Supreme Court ruled previous year it was unconstitutional, and authorities have warned they will move in using force if necessary if those remaining do not leave by the weekend.

Despite running out of food, medication and drinking water the refugees believe it's safer to remain in the compound than risk being attacked by locals at new facilities near the main township of Lorengau.

'If necessary, force may be used to relocate those who refuse to move voluntarily for your own sake'.

Mr Boochani, a refugee on Manus Island who has reported on the men's plight on social media and elsewhere, said they were still refusing to leave after receiving the notice.

Prime Minister Peter O'Neill has asked asylum seekers at the Manus Detention Centre to move to the new site.

The men fear violent reprisals from the Manus island community if they move from the camp to three transit centres, pending possible resettlement to the United States.

It's been nine days since the Australian government cut off food, water, medical assistance and electricity to the refugees at the centre. Several of the men told Reuters that almost 100 of them had fallen sick. "The Manus center was established for the sole reason of processing asylum claims".

Minister Thomas also clarified the issue of which government is responsible for ongoing care and support for those that remain in PNG and durable solutions for the refugees and return non-refugees.

The detention camps' conditions have been widely criticised by the United Nations, refugee advocates and medical professionals.

Canberra says its tough immigration policy against boatpeople dissuades would-be migrants from attempting the risky crossing to Australia and has prevented hundreds of deaths at sea.

They've been offered accommodation at other facilities but say they won't leave until they can be resettled in a third country.

But so far, just 54 refugees have been accepted by Washington, with 24 flown to the United States in September under a deal struck with former US president Barack Obama and bitterly criticized by his successor Donald Trump.