NYC Officials: Subway Explosion Was 'Attempted Terrorist Attack'

Posted December 16, 2017

The bus terminal at Port Authority had been evacuated and closed, but reopened just before 10am.

A man wearing an "improvised, low-tech explosive device" that was detonated this morning (Dec. 11) beneath New York City's Port Authority Bus Terminal, a major Manhattan transit hub, has been identified as as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah.

"Let's be clear, as New Yorkers our lives revolve around the subways".

The blast took place in an underground passageway at the Port Authority subway station, at 42nd Street between 7th and 8th avenues, authorities said. A further review and witness interview is underway.

Official sources told CNN that the suspect is talking to police while being treated at Bellevue Hospital.

Four people were injured Monday in the blast that rocked a subway station in the heart of Manhattan, firefighters said, but none of those injuries was life-threatening.

Asked by a reporter if the suspect had any connections to ISIS, O'Neill said the man "made statements", but declined to be more specific.

De Blasio said at the same press conference that the incident was an attempted terrorist attack and "thank God the perpetrator did not achieve his ultimate goals".

New York City has been a target of multiple terrorists attacks and attempts starting the bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993; the worst of them was the 9/11 attacks. He came to the US on a family immigrant visa. The suspect is a Lawful Permanent Resident from Bangladesh who benefited from extended family chain migration.

President Trump was briefed on the incident Monday, according to the White House, and New York Mayor de Blasio, D, was briefed as well, his office reported.

Sanders added that the country "must move to a merit-based system of immigration". More than 10 train lines use the location and it served 64.5 million passengers in 2016.

He said the attacker obtained information on how to make a bomb from the internet.

Andre Rodriguez, 62, a caseworker at a local shelter, told The New York Times that he heard an explosion shortly before 7:30. Many people were in the passageway when the explosion caused it to fill with smoke.

Police told the New York Post that the bomber was a former New York taxi driver who told investigators he carried out the attack for revenge, police sources said.

Zeins said that investigators were responding to his apartment to search for any evidence connected to the incident and check to see if he had any connections to worldwide terror groups.

"The first news this morning was obviously very frightening and disturbing", Cuomo said.