Miguna Miguna charged in a Kajiado court this morning - DPP

Posted February 07, 2018

Four of Kenya's popular TV channels were switched off last week for attempting to broadcast the "inauguration" of opposition leader Raila Odinga as the "people's president".

Miguna Miguna, the self-declared General of the National Resistance Movement, was arrested last Friday for administering the "illegal" oath and his whereabouts remain unknown much to the outrage of Nasa supporters who turned against Duale following his remarks. Miguna Miguna was taken from his Nairobi home to a police station, the NASA coalition wrote on its Twitter feed.

Miguna was arrested after standing beside Odinga during the protest inauguration and signing the document as a witness.

Police spokesman Charles Owino did not answer his phone when called for comment on the arrest.

"On the 30th day of January 2018, at Uhuru Park in Nairobi County, jointly with others not before court, were present and consented to the administration of an oath to Raila Amollo Odinga purporting to bind the said Raila Amollo Odinga to commit a capital offense of treason".

Mr. Khaminwa, passionately spoke to the court to release Miguna and later on at a press conference at the courts precincts he called on all Kenyans, starting from Lawyers to stand up and defend the 2010 constitution which he claimed is being watered down by the current regime.

"We are back on air", said Joe Ageyo, the managing editor of Kenya Television Network.

Three privately owned television stations were shut down last week as they began to cover Odinga's "swearing in".

"There's been no form of communication from the government", said Larry Madowo of NTV, which resumed broadcasting on pay-to-view channels although its free-to-air channel, which uses different transmitters, was still off. KTN News was back on its free-to-air channel.

Also on Monday, police teargassed demonstrators demanding the stations reopen as they tried to march on government offices. "The laws are clear". Odinga insists he, not Kenyatta, was the true victor of a disputed presidential election last August. "That's why the court ruled as they did".